I’m sitting here in my living room in the United States with Covid-19 ensuring that I don’t get to see my family for Christmas this year. It’s frustrating but worth it to keep my high-risk mother safe.
I’m finishing off my day watching the newest videos on YouTube. Right now, it happens to be VEGAN 2020 – The Film. Have you seen it yet? Wow. I highly recommend it. I’ll add a link to the bottom of this post.
Two facts mentioned in the film that were startling for me were:
- The root cause of the Covid-19 virus was spread from animal to human as are so many other viruses; and
- Factory farming (animal agriculture) is what is driving climate change, (14.5% of greenhouse gas emissions) and has been the cause of the major forest fires in Australia, the United States, and worldwide.
We are suffering from the worst wildlife disasters in history. And it’s getting worse.
We know what the problem is but many of us don’t know what to do about…where to start. I’m hoping this BLOG post helps you. What can you do? What are your options?
Make Sustainable Choices
I think Joaquin Phoenix said it best when he said,
“…human beings at our best, are so inventive and creative and ingenious, and I think that when we use love and compassion as our guiding principles, we can create, develop, and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and to the environment.”
To hear the full speech, click here.
Here are a few ways to support change and our planet.
- Add a meatless meal to your weekly menu
- Eat a meat-free meal once a day
- Become a flexitarian
- Participate in Veganuary (check out the details here)
- Transition to a vegetarian lifestyle
- Transition to a vegan lifestyle (click here for additional reasons why)
- Support others who do support any of the above choices
Awareness has grown about the plant-based lifestyle. It transcends the global issues we are facing. And if you are ready, there is so much help to get you started.
Start by watching all the great documentaries available that are backed by the latest scientific data.
- To watch VEGAN 2020 – The Film, click here.
- For great references books to get you started, click here.
The main purpose of me writing my Trying Out Vegan cookbook series is to help you get started in trying out a vegan lifestyle. Currently, there are three cookbooks to chose from.
More cookbooks are being written and published in 2021, including Good Morning, Vegan, scheduled to be out in March that will give you some great plant-focused breakfast options.
Hungry for more?
- Check out this BLOG post for additional books that will give you even more recipes
- Check out Veganuary just in time for the new year
- Check out the OTHER RESOURCES section on my BLOG post, Why Go Vegan
Whatever you choose, know that your actions can make a difference to yourself, your family, and your planet. We’re in this together. Let’s take care of one another and Mother Earth.
Happy New Year (and good riddance 2020).